Aug 29, 2008

Something Egyptian

Something finished! Yay! I should pat myself on the back that I finally finished something from so long ago. I'm such a procrastinator. In my last post I showed these pendants as unfinished. What gave me a kick in the ol' behind is that I have a Gallery request for something Egyptian, something 'rich'. Well, the Maat Necklace on the left is very rich....because....I used real vintage 18 KT, either vermeil* or goldfill *beads on there. They aren't just vintage but originally also from Egypt. I feel I was fortunate to get my hands on these. I met 70 something Nassrin about 10 years ago at a Water colour workshop. She told me she used to bead when she was younger, but that she had no use for them now. She invited me for tea and showed me tins and oodles of beads that I could not resist, including megasize turquoise blue and cobalt 'Donkey' beads (yep, used on Donkeys to ward off evil), but she also a large stash of beads from around 1920, small metal faceted seedbeads and even some "Colgate" beads that had perfume labels and scented with lilac. This was before they started making toothpaste.
Anyway, Nassrin had collected the beads for some time. Then she pulled out a silk bag filled with these gold beads. My jaw dropped. She remembered they were 18KT 'something', but not sure if they are either a heavy plate or filled. I didn't expect her to remember every detail, but knew she was as honest as honest can be. Today I took a bead and filed along the cap and filed and filed....well, I still see gold. Either it is a very thick layer or filled. Goldfill means a percentage of gold right through the metal, but usually it would be 12 or 14KT, not 18. Anyway, no matter to me, they cost me an arm and leg and that's why I hadn't used but a few until now. Now I'm thinking I either have to keep this necklace in my own collection or it will be up for sale, otherwise it'll have to fetch at least $350. The Nefertiti one will go to the Gallery. Both necklaces also have Lapis Lazuli, Carnelian, and Turquoise beads.

3 comments:

Julz said...

Well tina...fortunate indeed for your pathe to cross Nassrin's. What a find...how rich you must have felt!!! The gold beads are perfect in Maat! I have fallen in love with both pieces...i am a sucker for all things egyptian!!!
I wish you luck with selling it...if you end up having the courage ;)

Anonymous said...

The necklaces turned out absolutely gorgeous Tina!! The real gold beads and gem stones give the piece the respect they deserve! I just love these pieces!

Beadcomber said...

Thank you so much! At the market a lady was very interested in the Maat necklace, and price wasn't an issue...she just thought it would be too much to wear but on 'special occasions'. My reply was: "Every day is a special occasion..." to which she agreed...even if the day included vacuum cleaning the house. Maybe someday I convince someone of that, lol.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...