Jan 19, 2012

Anything is possible…

Or so the saying goes when one looks positively at things.

I’ve had a lot of things on my mind as you know from my previous post, so haven’t been able to produce or be very creative. But it’s been since November that my muse went on vacation and has left me sitting in my studio with piles of ‘to do’ lists pinned on the board.

I’ve made a few ‘little’ things but nothing substantial and this bothers me. I’m supposed to work on some orders, but you know, I’m tired of making things that I’ve been steadily producing since 2000. That is 12 years! You can say that I’m just bored with it and am procrastinating badly, but what to do when the shops keep asking for the same stuff! because it sells! I want to sit and design something new, something 2012! Maybe something Mayan tribal with an Oceanic flair, lol. …but…mmm….this years trend are layers of chains, roses and flowers…and my muse calls me from overseas and says ‘chuck that thought aside, create your own trends’.  Artists are supposed to do this, right? I might use some of that Pantone Tangerine Tango tho and I envision some Coral, Carnelian with hints of Rose quartz and Tiger eye…but I digress from what I really want to tell you!

So, this afternoon I sat playing with some surface treatments as I’m also supposed to work on some buttons and while this clay sheet is a little dark, I think I’ll be able to reproduce this with a lighter colour. I had a scrap piece of green clay with copper and gold flecks in it, rolled out flat, sitting in front of me at my desk. As I stared at it, and it, at me in return…the question popped into my mind “Is it possible?…”

Is it possible to create a crackle on uncured clay without the use of metal leafing? without a 2 part crackle medium? without heating the clay and causing it to crack? without Future Floor polish which takes so long to dry?? mmm…

YES! it is!

…this is the result. I’ll share more soon…

tina crackle

7 comments:

Vanessa said...

ohhhh gorgeous Tina!! it almost looks like crocodile

DorothéeV said...

Pretty ! It almost looks like skin (except for the color of course !) Very interesting effect.

Unknown said...

I love the effect and will be intrigued to know how you achieved it!
I understand the reluctance to continue to make something just because it sells when you want to break free and try something new. I guess if you are relying on sales to make your living it can seem like a cage you can't escape from, hopefully the shops will be willing to try something new. I hope you can find a way to manage both - making a living and continuing to stretch your creativity.

Beadcomber said...

2012 is the year to stretch my creativity and dig a wider path. I'll continue to work on some of the things I've made in the past but with a twist here and there.
My small studio is also confining for creativity when a warehouse would allow for swifter assembly instead of the 'make a little, clean a little' approach, lol, a lot of time wasted. Another 'play day' appointment is on my calendar tho...TGIF! :)

Lee Ann said...

I just "make a little". Forget the "clean a little". ;)

Beadcomber said...

That made me laugh!

ByJoJo said...

Lee Ann- that's me, too! Tina, this effect is gorgeous. Maybe you have found the next polymer clay technique and can become the new "it girl"!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...