Apr 10, 2010

The Polymer Clay Highway - Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

My current destination creating with Polymer Clay is a virtual stretch of road with many stops and side roads inbetween. The last week or so I've been creating "Batik pendants, bracelets, earrings..." and now mirror compacts and likely some other things are on their way. The technique is a chameleon of sorts as one can change one thing such as the texture or clay color and it's like day and night.
Am I there yet? Not anywhere near finished exploring, lol
For photos and more read on...

A flowery bouquet of tiles waiting to be turned into pendants, earrings and mirror compact...


The turquoise shape was done with smooshed up clay and so is not as dimensional, but shows that even scraps can be used.

This one is quite dark, but has a lot of depth and colors shift when held at different angles...The one above on the right hand side was rolled flat, but I like that effect also.



I've been getting some nice emails and reviews. Thank you for the kind words, they've been brightening this whole week, even with the warmth of plenty of sunshine. Some people have the best sense of humor and thought I'd share this email (with permission of course):

"Tina, I need to find a 12 step meeting to help me stop doing the shimmering batik thing. Not even sure where I could go to look for one. I made some things out of it yesterday and the day before. I took a couple to my knit and crochet club this morning. One of the ladies grabbed my favorite piece and wouldn't let it go. I finally asked her if she was going to give it up and she said no. I told her it needed a couple more coats of Magic-Glos. She asked if I could put something on it so she could hang it from a chain but she didn't want me to wire wrap it, she just wanted it like it was. You created a monster or two. Thank you."

Here are a few more things I finished today...ok...have to admit...red, black and white are not my ideal color choices and I tend to avoid them, but this is part of a challenge that I took on, to see if  I could make it work. I actually like them in person, lol. With all these bracelets happening...perhaps I should change my blog to "A bracelet or two a day". Various sizes and I'm going to play with some other shapes, but they are all strung on elastic, and so easy to put on.


And a mirror compact...

And here are some tiles by B-Lee Kreations...you can visit her blog at http://bleekreations.blogspot.com/
Aren't these beautiful, you can even see the mica shimmer...

Mirame Creations is giving away this beautiful Butterfly necklace made with the Batik Technique. Visit her blog http://miramecreations.blogspot.com/2010/04/earth-day-giveaway.html

If you want this tutorial, it's available at my http://beadcomber.artfire.com Look for the "Batik and Shimmer".
Have a great weekend!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting my giveaway on your blog, Tina. I will send you some more pics from other creations that I have done using your tutorial...I guess I am in the same boat as Bonnie...you have created Batik Shimmer Monsters!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I meant to comment on your new creations...Definitely like your compact...quite beautiful actually! I really like the texture you used on it. Your black and white bracelets look oriental to me...love them as well! Did you use a resin (Magic Glos) on the oval-shaped bracelet? It didn't look like you used it on the other one.

Bonnie Kreger at B-LEE KREATIONS said...

Tina, Lupe and I think you should come to Arizona and do some claying and playing here with us since you made "BATIK MONSTERS" out of the two of us. We would love to have you here. What are you going to tut next? Lupe and I get the first ones. LOL
Thanks again. My friends are fighting over the pieces that they want, too bad they don't want to pay for them. LOL

Unknown said...

I love your flower arrangement, Tina! So pretty!
Thanks for the Trees of Life and Mermaid pendants received last week. I'm giving the blue tree to my daughter and keeping the other two. Love them!

Tonja Lenderman said...

I love the way the red, black and white ones turned out. Fabulous design.

DVArtist said...

I am just drooling over these new pices. I love the mirror abut love the mica beads. Superb.
Nicole/Beadwright

Carolyn Fiene said...

Tina - I ordered your Batik-Shimmer tutorial on Saturday. So fat I have not received the .pdf file. What happened? Please help as I have read rave reviews about this tutorial. Normally I do not purchase written tutorials, preferring videos. Since yours was so highly recommended I made an exception. Please, please do something about this. Thanks. ~Carolyn

Beadcomber said...

Hi Carolyn....
I did send it on Saturday to your charter.net address... Depending on you ISP servers filter settings, please check your spam folder.
Tina

Carolyn Fiene said...

Oh, Tina - I was just sitting at my clay station and thought, 'I wonder if Tina's tutorial ended up in my email junk file.' And, lo and behold, there it was. Then I saw your email about checking the spam folder. I am so very sorry that I didn't think of this sooner. All those out there who are looking to buy Tina's tutorial, don't hesitate. It gets sent right away ... but you might have to check your junk or spam folder to find it. I am sure it will be worth every penny from what I've heard. If Tina doesn't mind I'll even send photos once I complete some pieces. You're the best, Tina!

Beadcomber said...

Hi Carolyn, I don't mind at all...would love to see pics and may post them on my blog, if you let me! lol
I don't mind emailing, facebooking etc because I'm virtually hooked on this machine,haha...,except for days like today when on a day-long hike. Ya, the beloved spam folder. I have so much good stuff going in there (especially in my yahoo one) that I'm used to checking. It seems to happen more and more...ISP's getting a little too efficient with it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...