Jan 26, 2010

Polymer Clay and Resin play

I've tinkered with various types of resins for my polymer clay jewelry and until now have not found the right product for me. I've tried Envirotex and some other 2 part resin that my husband likes to use and while he is very good at mixing 2 part resins, I am not. I think my equal measuring with specific cups is not working out too well, but apparently temperature is a factor also. I've ended up with sticky pieces that ended up in the garbage bin and was not too pleased because I didn't do it on a 'test' piece, ahem. No wonder I didn't do so well in High School Chemistry, lol. I've tried Judikins Diamond Glaze and DG3 Art gel and Glossy Accents which are dimensional glosses. Since they are water-based however they do not stand up to a lot of wear. I've tried UTEE and I do like it for 'round' objects, but for tougher wear I need something stronger.

Most of you know about the 1 part resin, Magic Glos, by Lisa Pavelka. I like it a lot, but it is a bit pricey. I'm glad it is available in larger bottles now which does bring cost down. It cures wonderfully under my 9 Watt UV lamp, but I find I have to do two steps and sometimes two layers to get it right. You can see my post about it here
About lamps...I just ordered a larger lamp, a 36 Watt one like this one. I'll be able to cure more pendants at a time (instead of 2 or 3) and with a quicker cure time.




Anyway...last year I had some UV resin sent to me by a manufacturer in the US. I'll have to dig out the flyer and info they sent me and tell you more about who, where and what, but I finally used it and WOW! am I happy I did. If you saw my last post you saw one of the pieces I did with this.
Here are a few more pics

 

This stuff, which is an Epoxy, cures relatively fast, about the same time as Magic Glos. What I do is a thin layer at first, cure and do another layer. What I found so far is that:
  • it does not recede from the edge
  • after curing it can be baked (if you need to add to your piece)
  • it can be sanded (and I've got to do a bit of that)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love them! Where can you purchase this Epoxy from?

Carol said...

Greetings from my "supersonic carpet". I've been enjoying reading your blog. I'm clueless when it comes to polymer clay and epoxy so I've been learning a lot.

Tonja Lenderman said...

My issue with Lisa's UV gel is that it pulls away from the edge. I was heartbroken when I saw all the pendants I was working on "ruined". I didn't try a second coat because I wasn't sure if it would be okay. I will try that next time. I think I tossed the first ones. Do you put anything on the MagiGloss to seal it? I thought it was recommended to use a clear nail polish or something?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Beading Gem said...

The UV polymer beads are just drop dead gorgeous!!

Lynn said...

Questions? I have just read your resin posts, two I think. At any rate, I saw one ebay one like the one in the article but what I want to know is did you have to order a completely new lamp or just a bulb? Please say there is no stupid questions but I have never dealt with these and know nothing. If you bought a completely new one, did you get it on ebay as well with or without timer....
Next in one of these blogs you mentioned you mentioned another epoxy but didn't have any further info. Did you locate it or did you continue using Lisa's Magic Gloss. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I am currently unemployed and don't want to waste time or money on wishing I had done it differently.

Beadcomber said...

That company is not answering any emails. I phoned today and would have to order a quart at a time, which is way too much for even for someone doing a lot of resin work. They said they would email me the information on shipping etc. No email as of yet. I don't know what to make of that company, lol.
About Magic Glos, I don't use a varnish over it after it is cured...it is a resin so doesn't need a finish and actually haven't seen anywhere where a varnish is recommended. It's very hard when fully cured. If I can't get my hands on that other resin, I will stick with Magic Glos.
About lamps, you can buy the lamp and when they burn out, buy just the replacement bulbs which are also available on Ebay. I've used my lamp for quite some time now and the bulbs last a long time. I have a bulb like that in my OTT-like lamp and it's going on 2 years now. The Gel curing lamp I got is from Hong Kong. It has a 2 setting switch, one is for a 3 minute timer, the other allows me to keep the lamp on for as long as I want. You don't want a lamp with only the 3 minute timer as that is not long enough to cure the resin. If not sure, ask the company you are ordering from.

Unknown said...

Hi Tina,
I've been following you a long time. You are the Master of Polymer Clay Techniques.
I have a pair of earrings that have an image, the back of the earring are polymer, then the image, then a resin like substance over it. Can you tell me the best way to do this. I'm thinking of just applying the image to the earring, (I've never had any luck with any kind of transfers.) Then from what I've read here, get Lisa's product and light. I would really appreciate any info.
Thanks,
XOXO
Jan

Beadcomber said...

Aww, what a sweet thing to say. Thank you Jan!
If the image was a transfer with resin over it this would be fine, but if you want to apply an image such as from a magazine, a print out, a photograph, then the paper needs to be sealed with something to prevent the solvents in the resin reacting with the ink on the image. If you just apply paper and then the resin on top, the resin would soak into the paper and cause problems. To seal paper you could use Gesso and let dry really well. You could also bake on a layer of Fimo Gel Gloss or liquid Kato Clay over the image instead of resin or you can do that and then apply a layer of resin. I think it's time for another tutorial, lol.
Tina

CreatedWithFire Studios said...

Tina, can you please provide the name or a link for the UV light on this post, I really have been looking everywhere for a larger UV light just like this one ... thanks !

Beadcomber said...

Ebay...but mine is for sale...as I have an even bigger one now.

Tonja Lenderman said...

Tina, how much for the light? And would you want to trade some clear stamps for it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...